QualityWings Simulations Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate 787 Collection Support > Painting Hangar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the QualityWings Forums! Ultimate 787 Owners who are new to our Support system: DO NOT POST SUPPORT REQUEST IN THE GENERAL FORUMS! You must register your product by going here first.

So I seem to have found a problem...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam0896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So I seem to have found a problem...
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:23pm
Hello everyone.

Recently I've decided to paint my fictional airline livery for New England Airlines onto the QualityWings 787-9. However, when the final product came out. I've noticed several issues with the texture, and I'm not sure how they happened, or how they got there. I have three photos below:

Photo 1 above seems to show that the area just above the cockpit window got painted black. There's also another black square just past it a bit up away from the initial black spot, again, not sure how it got there.

Photo 2 above shows that the windows and various details along the fuselage seem to be saturated improperly, almost as if they were applied and left in the "Multiply" form on Photoshop, for those who understand what I mean. I should note that when painting this livery, none of the layers were set to "Multiply", they were all painted as "Normal", so I'm not sure why that has happened.

Photo 3 points out a texture issue I noticed with the front third of the fuselage, it appears to be, for an unknown reason, brighter than the rest of the fuselage, this goes for both sides of the airplane.

The livery itself is perfectly fine, I just feel that there were a few things I've missed, or that I simply saved the files in the wrong format. Hopefully somebody knows why this has happened. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Adam0896 - 14 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
gnt586 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnt586 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm
Looks like your alpha layer is missing 
All Liveries on Avsim Here
Gone Snowboardin Back next Year
Adam0896 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam0896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm
Odd.....
I'll double check the master psd. to see but when I saved the various files in DXTbmp, I specified that they all be saved with the alpha layer.

Is there any way of checking if the alpha layer is active/on?
gnt586 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnt586 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:57pm
Open the Completed DDS with dxtbmp to see if it is there and up the right way 

All Liveries on Avsim Here
Gone Snowboardin Back next Year
Adam0896 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam0896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
Thanks guys.

Gonna go ahead and make necessary changes, will report back with any updates :)
Mach 3.5 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mach 3.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:03pm
You may have saved that fuselage section as DXT1 instead of DXT5 which will destroy the Alpha channel. So look at the top of DXTBMP to see how it was saved.
My humble contributions to the Flight Sim community...

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?Ca
Adam0896 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam0896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:10pm
Just realized I saved the entire plane (all its parts) as DDS DXT1, no wonder it's all messed up!

I'm going to go back and completely rebuild the plane, only because even though I managed to get the Alpha Channels to work, it was still showing pixelated layers I guess due to me saving the plane as DXT1.

Will tell you guys how this looks with the changes implemented
Mach 3.5 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mach 3.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:15pm
LOL, would have made the same mistake except been using DXTBMP for years before I tried painting for the first time. Just don't go the other extreme of saving @ 32bit. Your paint will end up being nearly 1/2 gigabyte and can cause some installations of FSX to run out of memory (OOM).

You might want to look at this thread...

I fixed James textures and the plane looks OK so you may not have to start over.

Edited by Mach 3.5 - 17 Nov 2017 at 1:28pm
My humble contributions to the Flight Sim community...

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?Ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic